The models selected as the best laptops for software engineering students, whether they are workers or students, must be fast, efficient, and capable of moving all engineering programs that in general tend to consume quite a lot of resources.
Today, there are so many overrated laptops that it is easier than we really need. The world of technology is expensive, and for engineering students even more so.
To help you acquire the best laptop for students according to your needs, we wanted to focus both on choosing the most important options and on the requirements that you must take into account. Buying a laptop strictly based on the price and not focusing on any other feature is a mistake that can accompany you at least four years.
As if going to engineering college wasn’t difficult enough, you also have to bear the burden of technological gadgets every day. Perhaps many people think that having a desktop computer is enough, but it is not.
Many times you have to stay late at the university to finish reports, projects and send them the same day. Sooner or later, every student ends up going to any friend or Google to consider which laptop to buy.
The 7 best laptops for software engineering students
Here is our list in which we have exclusively selected the 6 best laptops for engineers. They are all models capable of withstanding the programs and tools that these types of professionals usually use without problems.
Have you seen the elegant design of this new Asus Zenbook 14? That’s not why it makes our list of the best laptops for engineers. It is that it comes with an Intel® Core ™ i7-1165G7 processor at 2.8 GHz
With a battery that lasts up to 21 hours and a fast charge, this laptop has a low power mode for long working hours and an ASUS AI noise cancellation system.
Quality and power are assured with features that facilitate multitasking, productivity, and entertainment.
- Processor Intel® Core ™ Processor 2.8 GHz i7-1165G7 (12M Cache, up to 4.7 GHz, 4 cores)
- 16GB LPDDR4X RAM memory on board
- 1TB SSD M.2 PCIe Storage
- Display 14 ″ LCD 400nits FHD (1920 x 1080) 16: 9 Anti-glare display sRGB: 100%
- Intel Iris graphics controller
- 802.11ax + Bluetooth 5.0 (Dual band) 2 * 2
- Portable camera HD Camera with IR function to support Windows Hello // Without privacy shutter
- Battery 67WHrs, 4S1P, 4-cell Li-ion
- 2 x Thunderbolt ™ 4 USB-C® (up to 40Gbps)
- 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A (up to 5Gbps)
- 1 x Standard HDMI
- 1 x MicroSD card reader
The next option within the best laptops for engineers who are studying or are professionals comes from MSI , with this powerful machine designed for people who require high processing capacity , speed and withstand high workloads.
The MSI Prestige 14 has improved its performance becoming more powerful with its i7-1185G7 processor, the GTX 1650 graphics card, and 16GB of RAM. It makes it a good option to be able to work without problems that the computer does not respond to you as it should.
- Intel i7-1185G7 Processor
- 16GB LPDDR3 memory
- Storage 1TB NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe SSD
- Display 14 ″ FHD (1920 * 1080), IPS-Level 60Hz 45% NTSCThin Bezel
- GeForce® GTX 1650 MAX Q Graphics Controller , GDDR6 4GB
- Laptop camera FHD type ( 30fps @ 720p )
- Battery 3 cells Lithium Ion 52 Whr
- 1x Mic-in
- 1x Headphone-out
- 2 x Type-C USB 4.0
- 1 x Type-A USB 3.2 gen.1
- 1 x HDMI
- MicroSD card reader
- Fingerprint reader
Obviously if we demand higher benefits the price will increase. However, this MSI Modern 14 computer comes with a fairly tight one being a good value for money laptop .
Its 11th Gen Intel® Core ™ i7 processor and discrete NVIDIA® graphics make it one of the best laptop models for engineers. In addition, its lightweight and its slim and elegant design make it ideal to be able to take it wherever you want.
- Intel Core i7-1165G7 Processor
- 32GB DDR IV Memory (3200MHz)
- Storage 1TB NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe SSD
- Display 14 ″ FHD (1920 * 1080), IPS-Level 60Hz 72% NTSC Thin Bezel, close to 100% sRGB
- GeForce® MX450 Graphics Controller , 2GB GDDR5
- Intel Wireless-AC 9560 (2 * 2 a / c) + BT5
- Battery 3 cells Lithium Ion 52 Whr
- 1x Micro SD Card Reader
- 1x (4K @ 60Hz) HDMI
- 2x Type-A USB3.2 Gen2
- 1x Type-C (USB4 / DP / Thunderbolt ™ 4) with PD charging
- Backlit keyboard Backlit keyboard (solid color, white)
This ASUS TUF Dash F15 comes with the Intel Core I7 11370H processor, 16GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 graphics, which is the best we can find in integrated graphics. Not only for the results in terms of performance but for its screen up to 240 Hz with excellent graphic fluency. Light and compact design, with 1TB of storage so you have enough space for your work.
- Screen : 15.6 ″ – 39.62cm / LED Backlit / FHD (1920 × 1080/16: 9) / 144Hz / 250nits / Anti-glare / NTSC 45%
- CPU : Intel Core i7-11370H Processor 3.3 GHz, 4 cores (12M Cache, up to 4.8GHz)
- RAM : 16GB (3200MHz) DDR4-SDRAM
- Storage : 1TB M.2 NVMe ™ PCIe® 3.0 SSD
- Graphics card : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (6GB GDDR6)
Same as the Acer ConceptD 3 Pro model mentioned above but with a more powerful 10th Gen Intel Core i7 processor. It also contains greater internal storage capacity, a 16GB DDR4 Memory, and NVIDIA® Quadro ™ T1000 4G-GDDR6 graphics that make it another of the best laptop models for 3D animation.
- Processor Intel® Core ™ 2.6 GHz i7-10750H
- Memory RAM 16GB DDR4 Memory
- 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD hard drive
- Display 15.6 ″ FHD IPS panel FHD IPS (1920 x 1080)
- Graphics controller NVIDIA Quadro ™ T1000 4G-GDDR6 (2C * 256 * 16 * 4)
- AX + BT5
- Battery 57Wh Li-ion battery
- 1 x HDMI
- 1 x Mini DisplayPort
- 1 x RJ-45
- 1 x Audio Combo + 1 x USB 3.2 power-off charging + 1 x USB 3.2 + 1 x Thunderbolt ™ 3 USB Type-C ™
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Operating System
Before we get to the Apple model we have to introduce you to this MSI WS66 with an Intel Core i7-10750H processor and an extra slim and elegant design. It comes with built-in Artificial Intelligence in addition to the Quadro® RTX 3000 graphics card for CAD work.
Without a doubt, the best option to be able to work with your laptop wherever you are due to its power, precision and performance as well as the lightness to transport it.
- Processor Intel® Core ™ i7-10750H Comet Lake (6 cores, frequency from 2.60 GHz to 5 GHz, 12 MB Intel® Smart Cache)
- RAM memory 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
- 1TB SSD M.2 PCIe Storage
- Display 15.6 ″ Full HD (1920 x 1200 pixels) 240Hz
- Graphics Controller NVIDIA® Quadro® RTX 3000 6GB GDDR6
- Connectivity Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 802.11ax (2 × 2) + Bluetooth 5.1
- Audio 4 x 2W speakers, MaxxAudio Pro
- Backlit keyboard
- Battery 4 cells, Lithium Ion, 99 Wh
- 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C with Thunderbolt ™ 3
- 1 x USB-A 3.2 Gen 2
- 1 × HDMI
- 1 x RJ45
- 1 x 3.5 mm jack headphone / microphone combo
- SD / SDHC / SDXC card reader
- Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Finally, we have Apple’s option within the best laptops for engineers. This Apple Macbook Pro i7 model comes with the Intel Core i7, which we can also choose with Core i9, and dedicated AMD Radeon Pro 5300M graphics.
Power, elegance, and the quality guarantee that Apple offers make it a very good option if you need a laptop for your work as an engineer or architect. The choice between Mac or Windows depends on each one.
- Display : 16 ″ Retina 3072 × 1920 pixels
- CPU : Intel Core i7
- RAM : 16GB DDR4
- GPU : AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB
- Storage : 512 GB SSD
- Connectivity : Thunderbolt 3, WiFi, Bluetooth, Card Reader, Headphone Jack
- Operating system : macOS
Requirements for choosing a laptop for engineering
We are going to learn more about the requirements of this type of laptop , what technical characteristics it should have and tips that will help you decide on one or the other.
The minimum requirements you will need are:
- 8GB of RAM (if they are 16GB, better)
- At least 250GB of SSD disk
- Minimum screen resolution 1920 × 1080
- Intel i5 / AMD Ryzen 5 processor or higher
- Dedicated graphics card
Running many CAD programs with 3D modeling (AutoCAD, Unigraphic, ANSYS) you will need a powerful CPU to do the job effectively and efficiently. That is why we recommend a processor at least an Intel Core i5 / Ryzen 5 and up. If we can choose an i7 much better since we will have a laptop for more years and the performance is notably superior.
Among the most recommended Intel laptop processors, we can find different ranges, although the most recommended is the HQ. This series of processors comes with 4 cores and hyper-threading technology which means much more performance but also more weight and size compared to those of the U series.
As for hard drives, we do not recommend any model without an SSD as the main one. Compared to a mechanical hard drive, they are much faster, lighter and cooler, as well as being more resistant to shocks.
The space must be at least 250gb if the laptop mounts a single disk, although it all depends on your needs. If you are looking for extra space you can choose a model that has an extra HDD.
How much RAM will you need? The recommended is at least 8GB, but without it is 16 better especially for multiple tasks and to maintain fluidity in intensive work.
Dedicated graphics card
Workbenches such as CAD, MATLAB, and Solid Works are used for 3D environment applications and video processing. These applications and similar ones require a dedicated graphics card, since those that are integrated are not enough to move these programs fluently. It should also be remembered that just as the amount of RAM is important, the memory of the graphics card is also important that the model we choose has at least 2GB.
Nvidia’s GTX series is the most reliable, where models such as the GTX 1650 or 3060 stand out, although we can also find professional cards such as the Quadro series. The problem with professional graphics cards is that they are much more expensive and are only profitable in specific tasks and as a general rule we do not recommend them.
Operating system: Windows or Mac?
The Mac laptops work very well and the manufacturing quality is the best. However, when we talk about a workstation, all the environments are mostly Windows native. It all depends on your personal preferences. Both systems have advantages and disadvantages, but in this type of work, Windows is usually the most used system due to the greater variety of software and greater benefits.
Here, too, it depends on your preferences: the 13-inch models are extremely versatile, they weigh very little and the battery life is longer. A 15-inch laptop gives more comfort and space when making designs without impairing its portability, which is why they are usually the most chosen for engineering. You can also find them in 17 inches .
Most of the laptops that we have added have USB-C, HDMI, bluetooth 4.0 connectivity (or higher depending on the model) and some still have an RJ-45 connection (which can be comfortable if we work a lot in a fixed place). If you need a specific connection, you can ask us in the comments section to recommend the model that suits you best.