We are discussing in this article What drivers do I need for my motherboard?
Ports for your hard drives and RAM as well as video circuits and integrated network chips can be found on the motherboard of your computer as the fundamental core of your computer. after you answer your question about how to upgrade a motherboard. Drivers are needed to establish a connection between your motherboard and the rest of your computer system. Windows Driver Store provides some of these drivers, while the Motherboard or computer manufacturer provides others. Drivers for your motherboard can be found via Device Manager. Drivers also play an important role if you ask how we can overclock Ryzen 1700x.
- Click “Enter” after clicking “Start” and entering “devmgmt.msc” (without quotations) in the “Search” box.
- From the drop-down menu, select “Show adapter.” If you have a motherboard with built-in video, you’ll find the drivers here (sometimes known as “integrated video”). Don’t worry about it if you have one.
- Select “IDE ATA / ATAPI controllers” from the “IDE ATA / ATAPI controllers” list. If you do have an integrated drive electronics or IDE hard drive, the controller is the interface that interfaces to your motherboard. You may not be able to access your computer’s hard drive if it has an IDE controller.
- “IEEE 1394 Bus Controllers” must be double-clicked. Drivers for all of your motherboard’s FireWire ports are listed here.
- 5 Propagate the “network adaptor.” You’ll see the AMD or Intel brand names here if your computer has an embedded adapter.
- Choose from the drop-down box “Voice, Video, and Game Controllers.” Here, you’ll find the drivers for your video and audio devices.
- “Storage Controllers” must be double-clicked. A list of Serial ATA controllers, or SATA controllers, is provided below. SATA hard drives are the most common unless you’re using an older computer. Connecting you to your motherboard, the controller is what you use. A large number of free discs or RAID controllers can be found based on the configuration of the machine. You can combine many hard drives into one volume, mirror them for redundancy, and use other advanced capabilities on most servers using RAID.
- To learn more about “Universal Serial Bus Controllers,” expand the section on that topic. Here you will find all of your USB drivers.
- Click on the “System Devices” option in the left-hand menu. The remaining motherboard controllers are the memory controller, PCI bus, system speaker, and clock. You can also connect an LED strip to your motherboard.
Which elements are most important to update?
We already know where all the devices are located, now we can say which will be the most important for updating the motherboard drivers. We need to keep in mind that Windows is a very complete system, and most devices will update and install it without any hassle.
The BIOS is primarily responsible for controlling all components of our computer. This is the basic input and output system, hence the acronym in English name. It handles control elements such as CPU or RAM memory, voltage, frequency, and hardware-level communication.
The BIOS should always be up to date to avoid possible boot errors and incompatibility with newer generation CPUs. In order not to dwell on this issue, we leave this tutorial to you to learn how to update the BIOS.
A chip set is a chip or set of chips that allows the board to be an element or central axis where all peripherals and hardware work in a synchronized and accurate manner. It is currently the Southern Bridge of Plates, which is directly responsible for managing USB connectivity and peripherals as well as storage and other internal devices to save work for the CPU.
The chipset being up-to-date means that programs and operating systems are able to work better with all physical hardware. Intel and AMD have chipsets, so each of them needs its own software, in the case of Intel it is called MEI or Intel Management interface and in the case of AMD it is called AMD chipset driver.
LAN and Wi-Fi network card and sound card
Typically, both of these elements are updated and installed by the operating system itself. In addition, sometimes installing a new motherboard usually takes a reasonable amount of time.
But if after a while we still do not get internet connection or voice, then we will need to download the official drivers.
It’s not part of the motherboard, but it’s one of the essential elements to keep it updated, whether it’s AMD or Nvidia. In this case, we need to know that Windows installs a common driver, and repositories always have a fairly old version of them.
USB, SATA and utilities
Here we can put the rest of our board elements, for example, programs that the manufacturer has designed specifically for their product. They are not strictly necessary, but they do give us very useful functions like fan control, fast USB charging, Intel Rapid Storage, overclocking etc. The fact is that they are highly recommended.
Ways to update motherboard drivers
Now let’s see what are the current or at least the most recommended ways to update motherboard drivers.
Use Windows Device Manager
This is the first way we can update the motherboard drivers. It is neither the most efficient nor the fastest, first because Windows does not usually have the latest versions of drivers in its repository, and second because devices that appear to be generic or unrecognizable. Are, will almost certainly remain so.
In any case, it is worth briefly commenting on how to do it. So let’s reopen Device Manager and go to the device we want to update, for example, the network interface.
By pressing the right button we see several options, one of which is “Update Driver”. That will be our goal.
Then a window will appear where we can choose whether the system searches for the driver on the Internet or on the hard drive. We will press what is best for us, the first option in our case. Windows automatically detects the most current drivers for devices, thanks to the Windows Update, so it’s not an option that would solve most of our lives.
The next method we will look at is via CD-ROM, and the truth is that it doesn’t need much explanation. When we buy a motherboard or other device, it is customary to include a CD with the necessary drivers. So we’re going to find this CD and we’re going to put it in our player.
We no longer have “that thing”, but a menu should appear with everything on the disk, otherwise we just log in and run each application. And you will say that these programs are old if the CD is very old. True, this can be bypassed-but not unless you’re a techie who knows what he’s doing.
Conclusion: What drivers do i need for my motherboard?
Software engineers, on the other hand, do not need to reinvent the wheel. If an application requires printing, the developer develops a basic printing function and leaves the rest to the operating system or, in this example, the printer driver that we have installed. With everything, we’re back to where we started: the printer manufacturer, like Brother or HP, can design its own driver or even software.