If you are packing your bags for your next trip and don’t know How Many Laptops can I Bring on a Plane, this article will help you understand that you have your hands on the plane. What can be carried in the luggage?
Most passengers are accustomed to packing their suitcases and preparing their hand luggage safely to board the plane. However, if you are flying for the first time, or you have never had a long trip, it is normal to have some doubts about what you can and cannot take on board.
Laptops are often at the center of these suspicions, as more and more people need to take them with them to work while traveling. Similar questions apply to other electronic devices, such as tablets or e-books, with related accessories, such as headphones and chargers.
How many laptops can i bring on a plane? Laws and Precautions
In short, the answer is yes. In fact, it is perfectly permissible to carry your computer in your hand luggage while traveling in an airplane, with some exceptions which we will see later.
If under desire or need, you decide to travel with your laptop, we recommend that you follow these precautions:
Keep your device charged: Electronic devices at the airport may be subject to random testing during security procedures. The staff may ask you to turn on your computer to make sure it is not an explosive device. If it is unable to ignite because it is not charged, further testing may be required.
Check often the list of things you can’t bring to the United States: In fact, from June 2019, some models of laptops are prohibited from flying to or from the United States. These are the 15-inch MacBook Pros sold between September 2015 and February 2017, due to an issue that causes the battery to overheat and potentially catch fire. Here are some airlines and flights that have completely or partially banned their transportation:
- Flights to and from USA: Neither on hold nor in hand luggage
- Air Italy, TUI Group Airlines, Air Transit, Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways: Neither on hold nor in hand luggage;
- Other flights within the EU: Transport is possible, as long as the device is turned off;
- Qantas and Virgin Australia: All 15-inch MacBook Pros (also made on different dates) are banned, in both hold and hand luggage.
Bring chargers and adapters with you: These aren’t really prohibited items on the plane, but are essential accessories for using your laptop, especially if you’re traveling to the United States. Remember, in fact, that power sockets are different from European ones.
Check airline luggage allowance: It varies from company to company. Some companies allow you to carry two pieces of hand luggage – a women’s handbag or laptop bag, and a trolley. Others, on the other hand, allow only one-handed transportation. The steps also often vary from company to company. If you only have one carry-on bag, you will need to pack your computer into your suitcase.
Be prepared for security – you may be asked to take your computer out of your bag or carry it on. Make sure your computer is easily accessible, as at most airports you need to separate large electronic devices from your mobile phone with the rest of your luggage.
Make sure your computer is properly protected during transport: Even if you carry your luggage with you while traveling, small pieces and clutter can damage your device ۔ If the airline allows you to carry two carry-on bags, we recommend that you use a computer bag. Otherwise, store it in a padded fabric case before putting it in the trolley.
Always follow the flight attendant’s instructions: Even if he is allowed to carry a PC with him on the plane according to the ENAC hand luggage regulation, his transportation is still subject to the rules. In fact, at any time, the ship’s captain or crew may request that the electronic devices be turned off. While mobile It can almost always be used in airplane mode, many airlines require you to turn off and keep your computer off during takeoff and landing.
Check the availability of internet connection on your flight: It will not be possible to connect your tablet or mobile phone data to the Internet during the flight. However, some companies offer the option to use Wi-Fi on board. This service is sometimes free, sometimes for a fee, or sometimes completely absent. If you need to carry your computer in your hand luggage on the plane to work, we suggest that you inform yourself in advance about this option on the plane.
Use airplane mode: PC is allowed during most flights. However, you need to keep your computer in airplane mode. If your device does not have this mode, be sure to disconnect any active Bluetooth connections. This also applies to tablets and mobile phones.
Electronic devices are prohibited on flights to the United States.
There is a special type of electronic item that cannot be carried in hand luggage on flights to the United States or the United Kingdom. The list is the result of an electronic ban imposed in 2017 and aims to regulate the use of tablets and PCs in flights to the following countries.
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
However, tablets and PCs are among the things you can bring in an airplane because it has to do with flights to and from these countries. In fact, all you have to do is keep these electronic devices in your checked luggage.
Some of the companies affected by the new regulation have already taken steps to increase the allowable weight for luggage reserved for their passengers. In any case, we recommend that you check the weight of your luggage before arriving at the airport.
Remember that the electronic restriction is valid for all flights from these countries, whether you stop for just one stopover, or even when the United States or the United Kingdom is not your final destination.
What else can you bring in your hand luggage besides your computer?
Electronic items are allowed on flights to the United States.
If you love technology and want to carry other devices on the fly besides your laptop, or if you don’t want to take your computer with you because it’s so cluttered, there are other electronic items that Permission is granted on the plane. These include:
- Tablet and mobile phone: These items are perfectly permitted in flight, and are especially recommended if you are traveling to the United States and want to watch movies or listen to music on the plane. As with your computer, you should use them in airplane mode and turn them off when prompted. Remember that the tablet must be separated from the equipment during the safety test.
- E-book reader: If you like to read, and don’t know what to take to the United States on a flight, we recommend that you include an e-book reader in your handlebars (Kindle and so on). In fact, books and magazines are heavy and can greatly affect the weight of hand luggage. By choosing to read electronically, you can take all the books and magazines you need with you, saving space.
- Power Bank (Portable Computer Memory): Although it is possible to carry these items in your hand luggage, if you check in the hold luggage, they are not allowed to be transported. In the cabin, it is possible to carry a maximum of two power banks with a maximum capacity of 100 Wh per person. For power banks with a capacity of between 100 and 160 Wh, it is necessary to apply for permission from the airline. High-capacity power banks fall into the category that you can’t take on an airplane.
Warning: If you need to check your hand luggage, be sure to remove the power bank and other items with the lithium battery from the suitcase before handing it over to staff.
What to keep in hand luggage?
Advantages and disadvantages of bringing computers to the United States
The fact that you are allowed to carry computers and various electronic devices on an airplane does not mean that you need to include them in your hand luggage when traveling to the United States. As we will see, it can be beneficial to have your laptop with you, but there are some drawbacks that should not be overlooked.
The benefits of taking your computer with you to the USA
Work Anywhere: If you don’t want to miss anything in the office when you’re away or, better yet, if you need to work while traveling, we suggest you bring a computer with you. After all, you really have no choice.
Watch your favorite movies and listen to all the music you like: Flights to the USA are long and it’s easy to get bored. Fortunately, the laptop is one that you can bring to the United States. Download movies, TV series and music before you go, and you can be sure you won’t get bored on the fly.
You will have access to important and useful information for your journey: using a smartphone, it is now possible for you to do everything with a computer. However, it is undeniable that reading on a laptop screen is more comfortable than using a mobile phone. You have your computer, you can read information about attractions and places of interest in your destination city, download maps and book tickets, and access museums.
Disadvantages of carrying PCs on aircraft hand luggage
- Weight and bulk: As discussed, not all airlines allow passengers to carry two carry-on bags. If this is your case, the PC can steal valuable space and weight inside your hand luggage. If you do not intend to use it, or if you definitely do not need it, it is best to bring a tablet or e-book reader.
- Protect your luggage: During the flight, you may have to isolate yourself from your computer. In fact, overhead bins with your seat may not be immediately available, and you may occasionally get up to use the services. Even once in the hotel, you have to keep the PC safe.
- You also need to bring an adapter with you: As power sockets are different in the US and Europe, you will need to bring an adapter with you. Aside from the extra footprint, keep in mind that not all adapters work with PC chargers.
Computers, hand luggage, and contraband on the plane: travel with peace of mind.
If you need to take your laptop with you on the plane, you don’t have to worry. As we have seen, it is not only possible to carry it in hand luggage, but also to use it in flight. But always remember to follow the flight attendant’s instructions.
They will actually let you know if it is no longer possible to use the computer, such as during takeoff or landing. Likewise, it’s a good idea to use your computer and other electronic devices in airplane mode.
There is certainly a long list of prohibited items on airplanes, but they are mostly made up of dangerous things that none of us ever think about. The only exceptions, as stated, are liquids. Their transportation is regulated in a special way, and the airport authorities are very strict in enforcing these rules.
Before departure, we recommend that you consult a list of prohibited items on the flight, especially if you are carrying food, liquids, tobacco, alcohol, and medicine. You will find all the information in this article dedicated to what to bring to the United States.
Follow the simple rules of this article to travel with peace of mind with your laptop without worrying about your luggage.